This role is not yet open for application. If you would like to learn more or if you'd like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up join our mailing list.
Centers of Excellence - Artificial Intelligence Specialist
Centers of Excellence will soon be accepting applications for a GS-15 - Artificial Intelligence Specialist. The target date for when this position will be officially open to application has not yet been determined. If you’d like to be notified when this position is open, sign up to our mailing list.
Applications will be open for submission on tbd. Check out Join TTS Hiring Process to learn more about the application process.
Location: Washington, DC
Salary Range: The base salary range for this position is: GS-15 Step 1 - $137,849 to GS-15 Step 10 $166,500
The base salary range does not include any adjustment for locality. Your locality will be determined by where you live since most of our positions are remote. If the position isn’t remote, then your locality will be determined by the location of the office where the position is based.
You can find more information about this in the compensation and benefits section on our site.
For specific details on locality pay, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page or for a salary calculator OPM’s 2019 General Schedule (GS) Salary Calculator.
Please note the maximum salary available for the GS pay system is $166,500 Note: You may not be eligible for the maximum salary as it is locality dependent. Please refer to the maximum pay for your locality.
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and applicants must not be GSA employees or contractors
Artificial Intelligence Specialist - GS-15
As a Centers of Excellence Artificial Intelligence Specialist you will be responsible for advancing the applied use of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) across the federal government and showcasing the potential for AI through early-stage solutions (e.g. “art of the possible”) as well as supporting major enterprise-wide AI/ML initiatives at federal agency partners. In addition, you will be asked to provide input to significant policy issues regarding the use of AI/ML in government.
The ideal candidate will have previously served in a leadership capacity in the use of AI/ML. They will play a role as an expert consultant to federal agency partners, develop project plans and manage delivery activities, providing leadership and influencing adoption of technical AI/ML solutions.
1. You will provide strategic leadership in order to carry out The National Artificial Intelligence R&D Strategic Plan.
- Manage and direct research and development (R&D) and processes to meet the needs of partner agencies
- Understand the federal government’s challenges and how integrating AI capabilities (such as Robotic Process Automation, Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing, Computer Vision) could create solutions for these challenges
- Lead cross-functional teams to identify and prioritize key areas of the partner’s business where AI/ML solutions can drive significant business benefit
- Analyze and explain AI/ML solutions while setting and maintaining high ethical standards
- Collaborate with internal team and/or private industry partners to understand and bring to bear innovative AI/ML and digital technologies to transform business processes
- Manage staff and leadership expectations by communicating updates, providing guidance, and raising issues and concerns from staff
- Ensure that the CoE work provides a strong return on investment to the federal government and taxpayers
2. You will promote and execute the adoption of Artificial Intelligence technology, and best practices through teaching, coaching, knowledge sharing and delivery.
- Capture specific AI/ML technology capabilities (e.g. strategies, roadmaps, playbooks) to document best practices across government
- Promote best practices for AI/ML (e.g. strategies, roadmaps, charters) and provide guidance for instituting enterprise-wide AI/ML governance as it aligns with the partner’s organizational goals
- Represent the CoE’s at the executive level to disseminate AI/ML-related education and identify strategic AI/ML-related opportunities for our federal agency partners
- Create compelling case studies on how users are benefiting from the CoE work, providing a special focus on lessons learned
- Inform policy activities within agencies and across government by providing subject matter expertise to the use of AI/ML in the delivery of federal services and the government’s mission
- Inspire honesty and integrity through open communication and liberal knowledge sharing across multi-disciplinary teams
3. Practice an exceptional level of customer service with all partners, providing a unique, tailored experience.
- Explain AI/ML to people who have varying levels of technical knowledge — always meet people where they’re at
- Evangelize the value of AI/ML, and build understanding and relationships with federal CIOs and CTOs through speaking at conferences and events
- Empathetically guide our agency partners through the process of implementing AI/ML solutions
- Serve as a liaison between the stakeholders and the project teams, delivering feedback to the team, enabling them to make necessary changes to product performance or presentation
- Play an active role in working with all relevant Digital.gov communities of practice, including Artificial Intelligence for Citizen Services, RPA Community, and Virtual and Augmented Reality.
- Support a safe, inclusive workplace and a positive team culture where all team members value diversity and individual differences
The information in this sections outlines the criteria that your application will be evaluated against to determine if you meet the Qualifications for the position. There are two very important things to note about this step in the process:
- Only applications found “minimally qualified” are shared with the hiring manager and are the only candidates eligible to be interviewed
- The Minimum Qualification determination can only be made using the information that’s directly within your resume and directly associated your listed work experience.
- Examples of stuff that can’t be used:
- Links to portfolios or other external materials (Yes, the links themselves may be “directly” on the resume but the information is not).
- Information you include in cover letters, responses to questions, etc. as these are not directly associated with your work experience
- Lists of tools, technologies, programming languages, etc. that are listed separately from your work experience
The Qualification process is a bureaucratic requirement that we are stuck with. It’s best to think about it as the most intense and rigorous resume review you’ve ever heard of. To get through this process you need make sure your resume directly reflects the Qualifications listed below. We also have more guidance on creating a federal style resume on Join TTS Hiring Process
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts against a scoring rubric created for this role. In order to properly be able to evaluate your previous experience, we recommend being as detailed as possible in your resume and following our general guidance on creating federal style resume.
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
Experience designing & implementing enterprise Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) solutions across functions. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Leading the design, development, testing and implementation of AI/ML solutions that are able to interact with multiple third party applications
- Drafting a strategy and vision for AI/ML projects
- Leading cross-functional teams to deliver AI/ML impact in efficiencies, cost savings, regulatory compliance or improved profitable service levels
- Leading teams to develop AI/ML prototypes to showcase potential business impact or validate technical feasibility
- Experience understanding and addressing the ethical, legal, and societal implications of AI/ML
- Experience researching AI/ML systems that incorporate ethical, legal, and societal concerns through technical mechanisms
- Applying agile project management practices in the delivery of an innovation or transformation project or initiatives.
- Leading teams through the adoption of new tools, technologies or methodologies
- Developing AI/ML prototypes to showcase potential business impact or validate technical feasibility
- Coaching upper management, clients or stakeholders through change management and adoption related to artificial intelligence transformation.
Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year or “present”)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time)
How To Apply
If you would like to learn more or if you’d like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up join our mailing list.