This job posting has closed.
Please see our other open positions.
18F - Cloud Consulting Technical Lead
18F is hiring for GS-15 18F - Cloud Consulting Technical Lead. This page contains information related to the role as well as a link to submit your application. Check out Join TTS Hiring Process to learn more about the application process.
Quick Links to Posting Sections
18F - Cloud Consulting Technical Lead - GS-15
cloud.gov, a product team within 18F, is looking for a talented cloud consulting technical lead to help us deliver better digital services to the public. As a cloud consulting technical lead at 18F, you’ll work closely with a federal agency partner team (as well as teammates from 18F and cloud.gov) to support ambitious cloud migration projects that transform how agencies deliver their missions. You’ll need to understand the partner team’s needs and desires, and work with them (as well as vendor partners) to implement solutions.
Cloud consulting technical leads on our team are:
- Experienced in leading cloud migration projects, including organizational strategy and change management.
- Interested in building systems and processes that meet federal security compliance requirements in effective and modern ways.
- Capable of building and migrating apps with a cloud native mindset.
- Experienced working in cloud computing platforms (e.g., Cloud Foundry) and leveraging cloud computing infrastructure (e.g., Amazon Web Services).
Your first project will be consulting on-site with the United States Air Force.
Key objective #1: Help federal agencies develop and implement cloud migration plans
- Partner with federal agencies to build, manage, and grow their cloud adoption and migration development efforts
- Provide engineering leadership and mentoring via technology evaluations and architectural decisions
- Influence project planning and design using usability research, analytics, and other metrics
- Analyze systems, identify potential problems with migration activities, and design and document solutions
- Assist agency partners through the change management process of cloud adoption, and in particular help them work through staffing planning challenges
Key objective #2: Contribute high-quality, well-tested, maintainable code across multiple projects, using best practices for modern software development
- Lead engineering efforts in building new and migrating existing applications to a cloud computing environment, leveraging infrastructure as code where applicable for any application configuration
- Deliver code that’s easy to deploy, update, and monitor by ensuring that the necessary tooling is present early in the project development cycle, or by introducing tooling into an existing project, as needed
- Participate in code review, architecture discussions, and feature prioritization
- Take pride of ownership in all projects you touch; leave code better than you found it
- Contribute to documentation, tests, style fixes, accessibility, performance, security, and more
Key objective #3: Promote the adoption of modern technology practices through teaching, coaching, and knowledge sharing
- Practice and enthusiastically share agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle, including iterative development and continuous improvement
- Inspire honesty and integrity through open communication and liberal knowledge sharing across multi-disciplinary teams
- Support teammates and partners in learning new skills and applying new methods for project management
- Make and use prototypes and hands-on demonstrations as tools to help teach modern technology practices
Key objective #4: In conjunction with team leadership, help establish and implement an organizational vision
- Develop new insights into situations and question conventional approaches
- Develop, implement, and drive technical strategy in engineering-specific and organization-wide contexts
- Keep up-to-date on policies and trends that affect the organization and shape stakeholders’ views
- Adapt to change and quickly integrate new information
- Formulate and execute consistently against objectives and priorities
Job announcement number: 1900203JCOTR
Opening and closing period for this job application: Monday, December 17, 2018 to 8:00pm EDT on Friday, December 21, 2018
Job Title: Innovation Specialist
Series & Grade: 0301 - 15
Promotion Potential: GS-15
Salary Range: Base salary GS-15 - $105,123 to $136,659
For specific details on locality pay, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page or for a salary calculator OPM’s 2018 General Schedule (GS) Salary Calculator. If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you applied to.
Location: Washington, DC; Boston, MA (virtual); Denver, CO (virtual)
Number of vacancies: 2 (Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed)
Supervisory status: NO
Travel requirement: Occasional travel may be required up to 10%-20% per year
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and non-GSA employees/contractors are eligible to apply.
Security clearance: Public trust. Background investigation required.
Work Schedule: Full time
Appointment Type: Excepted Service: Not to exceed 24 months (2 years); may be extended for an additional 2 years for a maximum of 4 years total.
This is a Schedule A position under 5 CFR 213.3102(r) to hire unique technical skills to develop innovative digital tools and services in the Excepted Service. Technology Transformation Services (TTS) is charged with developing innovative digital tools and services. TTS uses lean startup and agile development principles to make easy things easy and hard things possible.
As an Innovation Specialist the incumbent serves the government and makes an impact on a truly massive scale. The position requires that fellows perform work of an exceptional degree of difficulty across a wide range of topics at the convergence of technology, policy, and delivery. The incumbent leverages his/her experience deploying high quality, user centric platforms and services to lead major initiatives, consult on systems and policy proposals, and provide technical, policy, and programmatic guidance to government. The position involves access to PII data.
This position is located within the General Services Administration (GSA), Federal Acquisition Service (FAS), Technology Transformation Service (TTS), Office of 18F.
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands)
- Suitable for federal employment, determined by a background investigation.
- You may be required to serve a trial period.
- Direct Deposit of salary check to financial organization required.
- Register with Selective Service, if you are required by https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration.
- Serve a one year trial period, if required.
- Undergo and pass a background investigation. You must be granted this clearance before you can start the job.
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this.
- Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Complete a financial disclosure report to verify that no conflict, or an appearance of conflict, exists between your financial interest and this position.
Typical duties include but are not limited to: Conceiving/recommending projects/studies to advance the state of the art in the specialty area; applying forward thinking design and development principles to product or services development, delivery and program management, such as lean startup, user centered design, and agile development; Analyzing and scoping the technical and policy requirements needed to implement complex digital solutions; Assessing the state of digital services provided by the Federal Government, and working to align strategies and practice; conferring with key government/private officials and top experts in the field, representing the agency at technical symposia and/or conferences; Developing authoritative papers/reports; developing and leading adoption of government wide standards for digital services, leading to their adoption across citizen and business facing government Services; Demonstrating thought leadership and contributing best practices in a variety of technologies and principles; Contributing to a talent strategy that includes recruiting innovators and entrepreneurs to participate in solving complex and esoteric challenges.
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application.
Here’s how it will work:
You will be scored based on a review of your application materials, measuring your possession of each of the following competencies
- Technical Leadership: The ability to provide technical leadership, mastery, and architecture on complex engineering projects.
- Software Engineering Practices: Ability to apply tools, technologies, and established engineering best practices to help deliver innovative technical solutions and products.
- Agile Orientation: Ability to apply agile and open source philosophies to deliver work in a frequent and iterative fashion to address user needs.
- Communication: Communicate effectively with a variety of audiences, particularly in consulting scenarios, to establish a shared vision and understanding of a project’s technical implementation, objectives and goals.
- TTS Core Values Alignment: Working with integrity, transparency and resiliency in civic minded or high impact environment.
If found to be eligible and at least minimally qualified for the position, your score will be used to place you in a category (Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified).
If your resume does not support your possession of the competencies listed above, we may lower your score, which could place you in a lower category.
Within each category, veterans will receive selection priority over non-veterans if supported by appropriate documentation.
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts against a scoring rubric created for this role. In order to properly be able to evaluate your previous experience, we recommend being as detailed as possible in your resume and following our general guidance on creating federal style resume.
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Experience as a consultant or internal developer managing client, partner, or account relationships to deliver on large or complex projects as part of a cross-functional team. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Delivering projects with complex requirements, multiple stakeholders with disparate views or high levels of bureaucracy
- Delivering public-facing products or features on public-facing products with a large number of users (i.e. 100,000+)
- Delivering tools or products with high uptime or availability requirements (i.e. SLAs of 99.9%+)
- Experience providing technical leadership on projects or initiatives to deliver digital products or services. This
experience must include ONE of the following:
- Conducting technology evaluations
- Making architectural decisions
- Developing product roadmaps
- Experience developing full-stack web applications using test-driven development, delivering measurable results for
clients. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Developing digital applications using a relational or non-relational data layers
- Developing digital applications using test-driven development and software testing tools
- Experience deploying or operating digital applications on cloud technologies. This experience must include
ONE of the following:
- Developing digital applications using Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
- Developing digital applications using Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS)
- Developing digital applications using containerization technologies
- Developing digital applications using configuration management tools
- Developing digital applications using infrastructure automation tooling
Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year or “present”)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time)
How To Apply
We’re sorry, this job has closed.