This role is not yet open for application. If you would like to learn more or if you'd like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up here.
18F - Cloud Platform Lead
18F will soon be accepting applications for a GS-15 18F - Cloud Platform Lead.
Applications will be open for submission on Monday, December 17, 2018. Check out Join TTS Hiring Process to learn more the application process.
Location: Boston, MA (virtual) and Hampton, VA (virtual)
Salary Range: GS 15 - $105,123 to $136,659
If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected. Total compensation may include locality pay based on the individual’s duty location. For more salary information including locality pay details, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page.
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and applicants must not be GSA employees or contractors
18F - Cloud Platform Lead - GS-15
As a Cloud Platform Lead at 18F, you’ll work closely with a federal agency partner team (as well as teammates from 18F and cloud.gov) to support ambitious cloud migration projects that transform how agencies deliver their missions. You’ll need to understand the partner team’s needs and desires, and work with them (as well as vendor partners) to implement solutions.
Cloud Platform Leads on our team are:
- Experienced in leading cloud migration projects, including organizational strategy and change management.
- Interested in building systems and processes that meet federal security compliance requirements in effective and modern ways.
- Capable of building and managing technical teams.
- Comfortable operating Cloud Foundry platforms.
Your first project will be consulting on-site in Boston, Massachusetts or at Langley Air Force Base in Hampton, Virginia with the United States Air Force.
Key objective #1: Help federal agencies develop and implement cloud migration plans.
- Partner with federal agencies to build, manage, and grow their cloud adoption teams
- Provide engineering leadership via technology evaluations, architectural decisions, and product roadmap development
- Drive planning and delivery by using agile tools such as product roadmaps, backlogs, measurable success criteria, and user stories
- Analyze systems, identify potential problems with migration activities, and design and document solutions
- Assist agency partners through the change management process of cloud adoption, and in particular help them work through staffing planning challenges
Key objective #2: Promote the adoption of modern technology practices through teaching, coaching, and knowledge sharing.
- Practice and enthusiastically share agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle, including iterative development and continuous improvement
- Inspire honesty and integrity through open communication and liberal knowledge sharing across multi-disciplinary teams
- Support teammates and partners in learning new skills and applying new methods for project management
- Make and use prototypes and hands-on demonstrations as tools to help teach modern technology practices
Key objective #3: Design and implement multiple Cloud Foundry deployments, ensuring efficiency, reliability, and security
- Create processes and procedures that keep multiple Cloud Foundry environments in multiple geographical regions, environments, and security domains resilient, fault-tolerant, and consistent
- Work with internal and external groups to integrate, configure, manage, and support production systems, including monitoring platform and application uptime and maximizing platform reliability
- Lead the team in developing and maintaining robust problem handling, including responding to system alerts, troubleshooting system errors, and resolving incidents
- Ensure easy deployment and upgrades of platforms and subsystems
- Ensure infrastructure is used efficiently
Key objective #4: Automate platform operations using modern software development techniques.
- Treat configuration as code: manage, design, deploy, and test platform operations
- Develop automation tools to eliminate manual tasks, reduce errors, and increase the team’s productivity
- Deploy software in a repeatable and documented way, tracking specifications, process, systems, and procedures
- Take an iterative approach to identifying and removing single points of failure
The information in this sections outlines the criteria that your application will be evaluated against to determine if you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position. There are two very important things to note about this step in the process:
- Only applications found “minimally qualified” are shared with the hiring manager and are the only candidates eligible to be interviewed
- The Minimum Qualification determination can only be made using the information that’s directly within your resume and
directly associated your listed work experience.
- Examples of stuff that can’t be used:
- Links to portfolios or other external materials (Yes, the links themselves may be “directly” on the resume but the information is not).
- Information you include in cover letters, responses to questions, etc. as these are not directly associated with your work experience
- Lists of tools, technologies, programming languages, etc. that are listed separately from your work experience
- Examples of stuff that can’t be used:
The Minimum Qualification process is a bureaucratic requirement that we are stuck with. It’s best to think about it as the most intense and rigorous resume review you’ve ever heard of. To get through this process you need make sure your resume directly reflects the qualifications listed below. We also have more guidance on creating a federal style resume on Join TTS Hiring Process
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Experience leading a team to deliver digital products or services. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Managing client, partner, or account relationships
- Using agile methodologies
- Delivering tools or products with high uptime or availability requirements (i.e. SLAs of 99.9%+)
- Experience providing technical leadership on projects or initiatives to deliver digital products or services. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Conducting technology evaluations
- Making architectural decisions
- Developing product roadmaps
- Experience deploying, operating, maintaining, or running cloud platforms. This experience must include
ALL of the following:
- Using a Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS)
- Using continuous integration or continuous deployment tools
- Using infrastructure automation tooling
- Using infrastructure monitoring tooling
How To Apply
If you would like to learn more or if you’d like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up here.