This role is not yet open for application. If you would like to learn more or if you'd like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up join our mailing list.
Centers of Excellence - Data & Analytics Specialist
Centers of Excellence (CoE) will soon be accepting applications for a GS-15 - Data & Analytics Specialist.
Applications will be open for submission on TBD. Check out Join TTS Hiring Process to learn more about the application process.
Location: Washington, DC
Salary Range: $137,849 to $166,500
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and applicants must not be GSA employees or contractors
Data & Analytics Specialist - GS-15
We are looking for a Data & Analytics Specialist to join the IT Modernization Centers of Excellence (COE) to help develop and improve the capabilities and services of our partner agencies.
The federal government has hundreds of thousands of data sets and managing that data is an extremely challenging task. As a Data & Analytics Specialist, you will help agencies liberate and embrace their data, equip them with profound insights drawn from that data, empowering them to more effectively fulfill their mission.
Data & Analytics Specialists should not be theoreticians, but rather practitioners in the craft of data science. You’ll need to be able to get hands on when necessary, but we often help partner agencies capitalize on their existing tools and resources or work in tandem with government contractors. It’s imperative that our Data Analytics Specialist is dedicated to results and has genuine passion about building a sustainable data infrastructure within government. We aspire to not only help our partners solve their problems efficiently and with the ability to scale, but also help them do it in an agile way.
Key objective #1: You work with our partner agencies to implement or improve their capabilities to use quantitative and qualitative methods to collect, validate, analyze, and display customer feedback and performance data to aid service improvement and decision-making.
- Work on cross-functional teams to learn about the agency’s data needs within their existing systems to establish appropriate performance metrics and setting reasonable expectations for results
- Develop methods to monitor, evaluate, analyze, and report progress toward achieving performance goals and to inform continual improvements to service design and delivery
- Evaluate existing feedback and performance tools against best practices and agency requirements and make recommendations for new data-management tools and infrastructure
- Coordinate the implementation, deployment, troubleshooting and training for data analysis and reporting tools across the agency
- Conduct workshops with agency teams to identify uses of and promote understanding of their data sets
Key objective #2: You will promote the adoption of modern technology practices and strategies through teaching, coaching, and knowledge sharing.
- Practice and enthusiastically share agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle
- Deliver educational workshops to accelerate learning and adoption of agile principles and practices
- Capture specific technology capabilities (e.g. strategies, roadmaps, playbooks) to document best practices across government
- Promote best practices for data governance (e.g. strategies, roadmaps, charters) and provide guidance for instituting enterprise-wide data governance as it aligns with organizational goals
- Inspire honesty and integrity through open communication and liberal knowledge sharing across a multi-disciplinary teams
- Create compelling case studies on how users are benefiting from the program, providing a special focus on lessons learned
Key objective #3: Practice an exceptional level of customer service with all partners, providing a unique, tailored experience.
- Explain product or services to people who have varying levels of technical knowledge — always meet the agency partner where they are
- Empathetically guide our agency partners through the bureaucracy of the sometimes long and arduous compliance and security processes
- Skillfully map specific inquiries to product capabilities, identifying the product that best meets the agency partner’s needs
- Serve as a liaison between the stakeholders and the project teams, delivering feedback to the team, enabling them to make necessary changes to product performance or presentation
- Support a safe, inclusive workplace and a positive team culture where all team members value diversity and individual differences
The information in this sections outlines the criteria that your application will be evaluated against to determine if you meet the Qualifications for the position. There are two very important things to note about this step in the process:
- Only applications found “minimally qualified” are shared with the hiring manager and are the only candidates eligible to be interviewed
- The Minimum Qualification determination can only be made using the information that’s directly within your resume and directly associated your listed work experience.
- Examples of stuff that can’t be used:
- Links to portfolios or other external materials (Yes, the links themselves may be “directly” on the resume but the information is not).
- Information you include in cover letters, responses to questions, etc. as these are not directly associated with your work experience
- Lists of tools, technologies, programming languages, etc. that are listed separately from your work experience
The Qualification process is a bureaucratic requirement that we are stuck with. It’s best to think about it as the most intense and rigorous resume review you’ve ever heard of. To get through this process you need make sure your resume directly reflects the Qualifications listed below. We also have more guidance on creating a federal style resume on Join TTS Hiring Process
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts against a scoring rubric created for this role. In order to properly be able to evaluate your previous experience, we recommend being as detailed as possible in your resume and following our general guidance on creating federal style resume.
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Experience helping clients collect and manage their data as a practitioner in the craft of data science. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Analyzing large data sets using statistical packages (e.g. Python, R, SAS, SQL, etc.)
- Implementing data warehousing solutions (e.g. Teradata, Oracle, Amazon Web Services)
- Developing reports using business intelligence tools (e.g. Tableau, Power BI, MicroStrategy etc.)
- Developing queries for complex relational databases and disparate data systems
- Developing advanced analytics solutions (e.g. predictive modeling, artificial intelligence, machine learning, natural language processing)
- Experience leading, communicating, and developing deliverables for large technical projects. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Developing project management documentation (e.g. scopes of work, project plans, status reports)
- Briefing executive level stakeholders on project information (e.g. status, technical details, blockers, dependencies)
- Developing data visualizations for stakeholders
- Experience using quantitative and qualitative methods to collect, validate, analyze, and display data to aid service improvement and decision-making in projects or organizational contexts. This experience must include THREE of the following:
- Providing guidance on the selection or implementation of data analytics technologies
- Creating analytical methodologies for large data sets (e.g., data mining)
- Developing KPIs or outcomes oriented frameworks
- Standardizing or transforming a variety of data sets
- Documenting and promoting data governance and analysis best practices
- Experience navigating highly ambiguous or uncertain situations to deliver results for clients. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Coaching clients or stakeholders through the adoption of human centered design
- Communicating technical information to people with varying levels of technical knowledge
- Serving as a liaison between stakeholders or clients and project teams
Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year or “present”)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time)
How To Apply
If you would like to learn more or if you’d like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up join our mailing list.