This role is not yet open for application. If you would like to learn more or if you'd like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up join our mailing list.
Centers of Excellence - Infrastructure Optimization Specialist
Centers of Excellence will soon be accepting applications for a GS-15 Centers of Excellence - Infrastructure Optimization Specialist.
Applications will be open for submission on TBD. Check out Join TTS Hiring Process to learn more the application process.
Location: Washington, DC
Salary Range: $134,849 to $166,500
If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected. Total compensation may include locality pay based on the individual’s duty location. For more salary information including locality pay details, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page.
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and applicants must not be GSA employees or contractors
Centers of Excellence - Infrastructure Optimization Specialist - GS-15
We are looking for an Infrastructure Optimization lead to join the IT Modernization Centers of Excellence (COE) to help develop the capabilities and services of our partner agencies.
In collaboration with agency stakeholders, you will be providing the technical leadership for the design, planning, and delivery of key infrastructure modernization strategies that will drive optimizations and improvements in the security, agility, responsiveness, and capital efficiency of their IT infrastructure and customer delivery services.
You will need a thorough knowledge of infrastructure, networking, cloud, integration, data, custom & packaged applications, and security to ensure that the agency’s infrastructure architecture meets their current and future needs in an efficient, sustainable, agile, and adaptable manner.
Key objective #1: Serving as the innovative technical leader, you will work with our agency partners to develop strategies and execute initiatives to modernize their highly complex and critical systems and infrastructure, empowering them better deliver on their mission.
- Use modern research methods and best practices to fully understand the real needs of the users and the impact driven by the agency’s systems & infrastructure
- Analyze current system architecture and existing products to identify the functionality and capabilities that can be leveraged and the areas requiring refactoring
- Develop solutions with an API first mindset using reusable components and operational strategies to support scalability, availability, performance, monitoring, backup, etc, to improve the security, resiliency, and agility of infrastructure and applications
- Leverage native cloud capabilities such as data storage, performance, and security enhancements, as well as auto-scaling and performance/capacity management to promote technical improvements in the defendability and cost efficiency of the agency infrastructure services
- Work closely with the internal and contract developers, conducting code reviews and providing feedback and guidance when necessary
- Contribute high-quality, well-tested, maintainable infrastructure configurations, including code-based automation using modern software development, open source, and industry best practices
Key objective #2: You will promote the adoption of modern technology practices through teaching, coaching, and knowledge sharing.
- Practice and enthusiastically share agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle
- Deliver educational workshops to accelerate learning and adoption of agile principles and practices
- Inspire honesty and integrity through open communication and liberal knowledge sharing across a multi-disciplinary teams
- Create compelling case studies on how users are benefiting from the program, providing a special focus on lessons learned
- Capture specific capabilities (e.g. strategies, roadmaps, playbooks) to document good practices across government
Key objective #3: Practice an exceptional level of customer service with all partners, providing a unique, tailored experience.
- Explain product or services to people who have varying levels of technical knowledge — always meet the agency partner where they are
- Empathetically guide our agency partners through the bureaucracy of the sometimes long and arduous compliance and security processes
- Skillfully map specific inquiries to product capabilities, identifying the product that best meets the agency partner’s needs
- Serve as a liaison between the stakeholders and the project teams, delivering feedback to the team, enabling them to make necessary changes to product performance or presentation
- Support a safe, inclusive workplace and a positive team culture where all team members value diversity and individual differences
The information in this sections outlines the criteria that your application will be evaluated against to determine if you meet the Minimum Qualifications for the position. There are two very important things to note about this step in the process:
- Only applications found “minimally qualified” are shared with the hiring manager and are the only candidates eligible to be interviewed
- The Minimum Qualification determination can only be made using the information that’s directly within your resume and directly associated your listed work experience.
- Examples of stuff that can’t be used:
- Links to portfolios or other external materials (Yes, the links themselves may be “directly” on the resume but the information is not).
- Information you include in cover letters, responses to questions, etc. as these are not directly associated with your work experience
- Lists of tools, technologies, programming languages, etc. that are listed separately from your work experience
- Examples of stuff that can’t be used:
The Minimum Qualification process is a bureaucratic requirement that we are stuck with. It’s best to think about it as the most intense and rigorous resume review you’ve ever heard of. To get through this process you need make sure your resume directly reflects the qualifications listed below. We also have more guidance on creating a federal style resume on Join TTS Hiring Process
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Experience leading a team to deliver projects or initiatives to migrate digital products or services to a cloud environment. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Leading client-facing consulting projects or initiatives
- Leading a cross-functional team using agile methodologies to deliver projects or initiatives
- Conducting change management activities across an organization in support of digital product or service
- Leading large scale or enterprise wide migrations (e.g. migrating legacy data center into a hybrid cloud environment)
- Managing federal technology or security compliance requirements for cloud based digital products or services
- Experience providing technical expertise on cloud adoption projects or initiatives. This experience must include TWO of the following:
- Leading cloud adoption projects or initiatives that use Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
- Leading cloud adoption projects or initiatives that use legacy infrastructure configurations
- Leading cloud adoption projects or initiatives that require data migrations strategies
- Leading cloud adoption projects or initiatives that use Virtualization technologies
- Leading cloud adoption projects or initiatives that use Containerization technologies
How To Apply
If you would like to learn more or if you’d like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up join our mailing list.