This role is not yet open to apply to. If you would like to learn more or if you'd like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up here.
Consulting Software Engineer
TTS will soon be accepting applications for the Consulting Software Engineer (GS15) role. This page includes basic information about the role, key objectives, required qualifications, as well as the competencies we will be using for evaluating applications.
Quick Links to Posting Sections
Salary Range: Base salary GS-15 - $105,123 to $136,659
Total compensation will include locality pay based on the individual’s duty location. For locality pay details, please visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/. If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected.
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and applicants must not be GSA employees or contractors
Appointment Type: Excepted Service – Not to exceed 2 years; may be extended for an additional 2 years for a maximum of 4 years total.
Consulting Software Engineer (GS15)
18F is looking for talented software developers who will help our partner agencies deliver better digital services to the public. As a Consulting Engineer at 18F, you will be a builder, contributor, and catalyst. Working with folks across the organization, you will solve large, complex problems while promoting user-centered, open, and transparent culture. The role involves diverse responsibilities — you might be writing code one day, meeting with members from partner agencies another day, and launching a new product that will impact the lives of Americans across the country the next week. 18F is an open-source team, so most of what you work on will be open source.
This role may be perfect for you if you have the technical skills to tackle engineering problems, the social skills to face human-factors problems, and the judgement to differentiate between the two. Our ideal candidate will be equally excited about sticky technical issues and intricate human ones. Impact in this role can’t be measure on a GitHub contribution graph; ideal candidates should be equally comfortable solving technical problems by writing code, explaining technical design architecture to technical and less technical folks alike, and leading organizational strategy and change.
Key objective #1: You’ll contribute high-quality, well-tested, maintainable code across an entire project lifecycle, using best practices for modern software development.
- Practice and enthusiastically share engineering methodologies and tools throughout all stages of the project lifecycle.
- Influence project planning and design using usability research, analytics, and other metrics.
- Participate in code review, architecture discussions, and feature prioritization.
- Take pride of ownership in all projects you touch; leave code better than you found it.
- Contribute to documentation, tests, style fixes, accessibility, performance, security, and more.
- Deliver code that’s easy to deploy, update, and monitor by ensuring that the necessary tooling is present early in the project development cycle or by introducing tooling into an existing project, as needed.
Key objective #2: You’ll positively contribute to the culture and knowledge of the engineering team, practicing and enthusiastically sharing agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle.
- Work within a distributed, multidisciplinary agile team by participating in constructive discussions, openly sharing knowledge, and demonstrating value for technical and non-technical contributions.
- Support a safe, inclusive workplace and a positive team culture where all team members value diversity and individual differences.
- Provide visibility into each project’s progress, communicate blockers and challenges, and ask for help when you need it.
- Demonstrate a strong understanding of the elements of agile methodology (scrum, kanban, and so on).
- Practice human-centered design, user testing, feature prioritization, DevOps, and other relevant concepts.
Key objective #3: You’ll meet customer expectations, along with personal and organizational goals. You’ll produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risk.
- Hold yourself and your team accountable for measurable, high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results.
- Demonstrate your credibility in your area of expertise, deliver high-quality work, and accept responsibility for mistakes.
- Meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Make well-informed, effective, and timely decisions.
- Identify and analyze problems in a constructive manner.
- Explain technical issues and concepts clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences.
Key objective #4: You’ll lead change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. You’ll help establish an organizational vision and implement it in a continuously changing environment.
- Develop new insights into situations and question conventional approaches.
- Develop, implement, and drive technical strategy in engineering-specific and organization-wide contexts.
- Keep up-to-date on policies and trends that affect the organization and shape stakeholders’ views.
- Adapt to change and quickly integrate new information.
- Formulate and execute consistently against objectives and priorities.
- Take a long-term view and build a shared vision with people across TTS, GSA, and across the US Government.
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts against a scoring rubric created for this role. In order to properly be able to evaluate your previous experience, we recommend being as detailed as possible in your resume and following our general recommendations for a federal style resume.
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Experience as a consultant or internal service managing client, partner, or account relationships to deliver on large or complex projects as part of a cross-functional team. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Delivering projects with complex requirements, multiple stakeholders with disparate views or high levels of bureaucracy
- Delivering public-facing products (e.g. e-commerce sites, developer tools/platforms, high-traffic news/media applications, high-traffic mobile applications, etc.) with a large number of users (i.e. 100,000+)
- Delivering tools or products with high uptime or availability requirements (i.e. SLAs of 99.9%+)
- Experience developing large scale, full-stack web applications using test-driven development within highly complex, ambiguous or uncertain situations to deliver measurable results for clients. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Developing digital applications using ONE of the following server-side languages: Python, Ruby, Go or Node.js
- Developing digital applications using a relational or non-relational database layer
- Developing digital applications using version control and repository tools
- Developing digital applications using test-driven development and software testing tools
- Experience deploying or operating digital applications on cloud technologies.This experience must include
ONE of the following:
- Developing digital applications using Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS)
- Developing digital applications using Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS)
- Developing digital applications using containerization technologies
- Developing digital applications using configuration management tools
- Developing digital applications using infrastructure automation tooling
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application.
Here’s how it will work:
You will be scored based on a review of your application materials, measuring your possession of each of the following competencies:
- Software Engineering Technical Experience: Ability to use software engineering technologies to deliver technical solutions and products.
- Software Engineering Practices: Ability to apply tools, technologies, and established engineering best practices to help deliver innovative technical solutions and products.
- Communication: Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences, particularly in consulting scenarios, to establish a shared vision and understanding of a project’s technical implementation, objectives and goals.
- Technical Strategy: The ability to advise on technical strategy, agile development, software tools, and technical architecture.
- TTS Core Values Alignment: The ability to work with integrity, transparency and resiliency in civic minded or high impact environment.
If found to be eligible and at least minimally qualified for the position, your score will be used to place you in a category (Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified).
If your resume does not support your possession of the competencies listed above, we may lower your score, which could place you in a lower category.
Within each category, veterans will receive selection priority over non-veterans if supported by appropriate documentation.
How To Apply
If you would like to learn more or if you’d like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up here.