This role is not yet open for application. If you would like to learn more or if you'd like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up here.
Customer Experience Specialist
Centers of Excellence will soon be accepting applications for a GS-15 Customer Experience Specialist. The target date for when this position will be officially open to application has not yet been determined. If you’d like to be notified when this position is open, sign up to our mailing list.
Location: Washington, DC
Salary Range: GS-15 - $105,123 to $136,659
If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you are selected. Total compensation may include locality pay based on the individual’s duty location. For more salary information including locality pay details, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page.
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and applicants must not be GSA employees or contractors
Customer Experience Specialist - GS-15
As a Customer Experience Specialist with the IT Modernization Centers of Excellence (COE), you’ll lead the effort to help our agency partners develop a deep understanding of their users and the real problem they’re trying to solve.
You will drive research activities, derive insights, generate concepts, communicate those concepts visually, and work with developers and product managers to build and test them. You will foster best practices in user-centered design within the CoEs and across the federal government through advocacy and coaching.
Your work will include aligning stakeholders, talking to end users, turning vague ideas into concrete priorities, and minimizing risk by using techniques like contextual inquiry, journey mapping and design studios. And you’ll do all this in a spirit of partnership, with a sense of humility and empathy for our partners and the people who use their systems.
To be successful you’ll need consulting experience along with a background in a user-centered design or strategy discipline such as digital strategy, service design, user experience design, content design/strategy, user research or product management.
Key objective #1: You will lead cross-functional teams to help federal agencies define problems and create the vision for solutions that will drive innovation through all aspects of their customer experience.
- Conduct research, usability or user testing including co-design workshops, contextual inquiry, diary studies and stakeholder interviews to support the team’s development of digital products or services.
- Navigate complex organizational relationships to bring stakeholders together around common goals and priorities.
- Coach project teams and agency stakeholders through the adoption of agile, lean or other iterative product development approaches
- Lead service design using tools and techniques like journey mapping, experience prototyping, service blueprints and developing service quality metrics.
- Organize and structure complex information by creating artifacts such as wireframes, sitemaps and process flows.
Key objective #2: You will promote the adoption of modern technology practices through teaching, coaching, and knowledge sharing.
- Practice and enthusiastically share agile methodologies throughout all stages of the project lifecycle
- Deliver educational workshops to accelerate learning and adoption of agile principles and practices
- Inspire honesty and integrity through open communication and liberal knowledge sharing across a multi-disciplinary teams.
- Create compelling case studies on how users are benefiting from the program, providing a special focus on lessons learned.
- Capture specific capabilities (e.g. strategies, roadmaps, playbooks) to document good practices across government.
Key objective #3: Practice an exceptional level of customer service with all partners, providing a unique, tailored experience.
- Explain product or services to people who have varying levels of technical knowledge — always meet the agency partner where they’re at
- Empathetically guide our agency partners through the bureaucracy of the sometimes long and arduous compliance and security processes
- Skillfully map specific inquiries to product capabilities, identifying the product that best meets the agency partner’s needs.
- Serve as a liaison between the stakeholders and the project teams, delivering feedback to the team, enabling them to make necessary changes to product performance or presentation
- Support a safe, inclusive workplace and a positive team culture where all team members value diversity and individual differences
How To Apply
If you would like to learn more or if you’d like to be notified when the application is open, please sign up here.