18F is hiring for the role of GS-15 Chapter director. There are several 18F teams hiring for this role. This page contains a summary of the 18F Product director — Supervisory IT Specialist (SYSANALYSIS) role. View descriptions of other 18F Chapter director positions.
18F delivers agile IT procurement, software design and development, and consulting services to agency partners across government. We use an iterative, user-centered approach to help our government partners modernize technology and build capacity for innovation. 18F chapter directors foster inclusion, belonging, and growth within their teams. In this role, you’ll help shape how 18F creates meaningful change for our partners, stakeholders, and the American public.
The 18F Product Director leads the 18F chapter focused on driving products from concept to delivery. 18F product managers are strategic thinkers who are comfortable defining a compelling vision and designing a measurable strategy to achieve that vision. You’ll support employee development, lead hiring for 18F’s Product chapter, set a vision for the chapter, and represent the Product chapter as a member of 18F leadership.
Objective #1: Provide coaching, mentorship, and professional development opportunities; support employee wellbeing
- Ensure continued technical excellence in your chapter.
- Communicate regularly with your team, as a group and in 1:1s, to provide mentorship and guidance, and help remove obstacles to their success.
- Steward the Product chapter’s professional development by identifying appropriate training, developmental assignments, and/or details. Incorporate equity and inclusion into training, speaking events, and experiential learning opportunities. Tailor approaches to individuals’ needs.
- Work with individuals to identify and develop their strengths, helping team members pursue opportunities that enhance their talents.
- Constructively address situations, issues, and behaviors. Initiate difficult conversations and clearly communicate corrective actions.
- Recognize and flag stress and fatigue in your chapter. Work with individuals to determine support that might improve their wellbeing. Determine mechanisms to provide that support.
- Collaborate with other members of 18F leadership to identify and support strategic training opportunities.
- Ensure employees receive reasonable accommodations and that team events are accessible.
- Support the onboarding of new Product chapter staff.
- Conduct and document employee performance plans, mid-year, and end-of-year performance evaluations.
Objective #2: Provide strategic leadership
- Set the vision for the 18F Product chapter, aligning with 18F / TTS vision, goals, and values.
- Lead strategic 18F initiatives.
- Coordinate with other members of the 18F leadership team to develop guidance and organizational communication.
- Collect feedback to discuss successes and challenges, and share patterns and key feedback with the rest of 18F leadership.
- Represent the chapter in the 18F Senior Management Team (SMT) and communicate information back to the chapter. Promote transparency in how decisions are made. Regularly include others in planning and decision-making.
- Create a work environment that fosters trust, respect, and collaboration, since the best work comes from including diverse skill sets and backgrounds. Uphold TTS values of inclusion, integrity, and impact.
- Identify power dynamics in situations; respond thoughtfully and open space for less powerful voices.
- Promote collective success; plan and ensure there is time for collaborative decision-making; acknowledge how others’ contributions led to achievements; and create shared ownership of success, risks, and accountability.
- Identify 18F and Product chapter processes in need of improvement and oversee improvement activities.
- Research, develop, and encourage best practices in the field of product management, and create space for experimentation and iteration.
- Craft strategic, data-driven hiring plans for the Product chapter that align with TTS’s hiring strategy and trends in partner needs. Include sourcing strategies and interview practices to ensure a diverse candidate pool and inclusive hiring process. Our goal is for our team to reflect the diversity of the American public.
- Ensure Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) regulations are followed throughout recruitment, hiring, and selection processes.
- Set strategy for knowledge management such that key information is carried forward, to make the chapter resilient to turnover.
Objective #3: Support 18F project teams and build stronger organization-wide practices
- Help 18F teams align on and adhere to shared processes, maintain high standards, and resolve conflicts. Connect teams to resources, amplify team successes, and help teams to pivot or adapt as needed.
- Help 18F project teams understand what success looks like. Work with project teams to regularly demonstrate our expertise and impact.
- As part of 18F leadership, provide oversight of partner engagements and help members of the Product chapter contribute meaningfully to partner and user success.
- Collaborate with SMT and staffing leads to ensure projects are staffed with Product chapter expertise to best meet the needs of partners as well as to support skills growth of team members.
- Participate in and lead client-facing work and business development efforts, generally up to 20% time weekly, depending on availability based on other initiatives.
- Represent 18F to external parties, such as speaking at conferences, writing blogs, or speaking to the press.
Three 18F teams are hiring for this role
The links below provide descriptions specific to each 18F team. When the role is posted and open for application on USAJobs, you can indicate which team(s) you’re interested in.
Preparing to apply
This Join TTS site has information about the application process and how to prepare a government-style resume.