Presidential Innovation Fellow
The Presidential Innovation Fellows program is now accepting applications for their next cohort. More information about the program and the application process can be found at PIF.gov. This page includes key objectives for the role as well as the official job description. The Duties and Qualifications on this page are specific to the GS-15 level position. You can apply using the link at bottom of this page or directly at apply.pif.gov.
Quick Links to Posting Sections
- Role summary
- Basic information
- How to apply
- Other information
- What to expect
Please note: Industry Specialist is the official title for the government Position Description related to this posting.
Presidential Innovation Fellow GS-15
The Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) is a highly-competitive program that pairs mid-to-senior level entrepreneurs, technologists, designers and data scientists with top civil-servants and change-makers working within the federal government to tackle some of our nation’s biggest challenges and deliver better solutions to U.S. citizens. Fellows are embedded within agencies as entrepreneurs-in-residence for 12-24 month engagements working on mission critical problems, shaping smarter policy and/or delivering on technology.
Since the program was launched in 2012 by former U.S. CTO Todd Park, 120 Fellows have worked with over 30 agencies. These Fellows have included the Lead Developer on Google Maps, Former CEO of Symantec and Co-Founder of the Earth Genome Project. Past fellows’ projects have focused on improving care and access to benefits for our veterans, re-imagining cancer clinical trials to increase awareness and access for patients, defining an ecosystem to help the private sector manage risk and mitigate threats, and creating a central digital location to share and improve outcomes for children within the foster care system.
We will begin recruiting the next cohort of Fellows in mid-April. Applicants can apply online at www.pif.gov and Fellows will start in September 2018.
The characteristics that we look for in Fellows, include:
Entrepreneurship and Initiative:
- Expert in a hard skill such as modern product management, software development, lean startup, strategy consulting, analysis, strategic design, experience design, human centered design, data science, artificial intelligence, machine learning, cybersecurity, etc.
- Self-starter- either an entrepreneur or intrapreneur with experience starting and building initiatives
- Ability to engage business problems, understand and design effective solutions and strategies that draw on current and emergent tools, technologies, initiatives and other resources
- Experience delivering products or services from concept to market
Approach and Methodology:
- Expertise applying frameworks that emphasize delivery, iteration, quantitative/qualitative learnings and responsiveness
- Expertise determining user needs, identifying market opportunities and designing and deploying solutions
- Ability to apply forward thinking design and development principles to product development and project management such as lean start-up, user centered design and agile
- Ability to describe esoteric and highly technical solutions to non-technical stakeholders
Empathy and Emotional Intelligence:
- High degree of emotional intelligence. A quick study, who intuitively knows what needs to get done to deliver with integrity
- Experience in client-facing roles, navigating bureaucracy, business development and delivering services with a strong user-facing or consumer-oriented element
- Coalition builder with the ability to persuade and convince others to think about solutions in new and creative ways. Ability to know when you need to show and when you need to tell
- Tenacity to push forward over difficult obstacles
- Evidence navigating large, complex organizations and stakeholders
- Demonstrates patience and leads with humility
- At least 10 years of professional experience working in your area
- Demonstrated experience leading stakeholders through change where you don’t have explicit authority
- Ability to be a thought leader and contribute best practices in a variety of technologies and principles
- Teamwork - ability to lead teams and work effective with others within a team
- Interested in building a culture within the Fellowship and taking a genuine interest in other Fellows’ work, including providing feedback and collaborating when appropriate
Objective #1: You will assess the state of digital services provided by the Federal Government, and work to align strategies and practice; conferring with key government/private officials and top experts in the field.
- You will analyze and scope the technical and policy requirements needed to implement complex digital solutions.
- You will leverage your experience deploying high-quality, user centric platforms and services to lead major initiatives.
- You will apply forward thinking design and development principles to product development and project management such as lean start-up, user centered design and agile.
Objective #2: You will conceive/recommend projects/strategies to advance the state of the art in the specialty area.
- You will consult on systems and policy proposals, and provide technical policy and programmatic guidance to the government.
- You will demonstrate thought leadership, contributing best practices in a variety of technologies and principles.
- You will translate business problems into technology solutions that draw on current and emergent tools and technologies.
Objective #3: You will utilize an entrepreneurial mindset, technology acumen, and strong communication skills in order to drive projects from ideation to completion.
- You have the ability to present sensitive recommendations to higher authority and to articulate positions/policy of vast technical complexity.
- You possess knowledge of and expertise in driving and implementing technology solutions from concept to market that overcome significant challenges resulting from complex bureaucratic environments or technically difficult problems.
- You have a high degree of emotional intelligence, are a quick study, and intuitively know what needs to get done to deliver with integrity, ensuring compliance at all levels.
Job announcement number: 1800335JCOTR
Opening and closing period for this job application: Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - Sunday, June 3, 2018 at 11:59pm EST
Job Title: Industry Specialist
Series & Grade: 0301-15
Promotion Potential: GS-15
Base salary GS-15 - $134,789
For specific details on locality pay, please visit https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/salaries-wages/. If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade you applied to.
Location: Washington, DC
Number of vacancies: 25
Supervisory status: No
Travel requirement: Occasional travel may be required up to 10% per year
Who May Apply: All United States citizens who are not currently Federal employees or GSA contractors are eligible to apply.
Security clearance: Public trust. Background investigation required. Select positions may require higher levels clearance.
Work Schedule: Full time
Appointment Type: Excepted Service: 12 months and 1 day. May be extended for a maximum of 4 years total.
The Presidential Innovation Fellows (PIF) program brings the principles, values, and practices of the innovation economy into government through the most effective agents of change we know: our people. This highly competitive program pairs talented, diverse individuals from the innovation community with top civil servants to tackle many of our nation’s biggest challenges, and to achieve a profound and lasting social impact. These teams of government experts and privatesector doers are using approaches like designthinking and lean startup to achieve results for the American people in months, not years.
The position requires Fellows perform work of an exceptional degree of difficulty across a wide range of topics at the convergence of technology, policy, and delivery. The incumbent will leverage their experience deploying highquality, usercentric platforms and services to lead major initiatives, consult on systems and policy proposals, and provide technical, policy, and programmatic guidance to government. The individual will be expected to deliver innovative solutions that draw upon best practices. These solutions should have the potential to dramatically improve the delivery of government services, and provide value to the citizens at whom those services are directed.
The incumbent will use their demonstrated experience building and scaling initiatives to grow the effectiveness of the program.
This position is located within the Federal Acquisition Service (FAS).
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands)
- Suitable for federal employment, determined by a background investigation.
- You may be required to serve a trial period.
- Direct Deposit of salary check to financial organization required.
- Register with Selective Service, if you are a male born after 12/31/1959.
- Serve a one year trial period, if required.
- Undergo and pass a background investigation. You must be granted this clearance before you can start the job.
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this.
- Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
- Complete a financial disclosure report to verify that no conflict, or an appearance of conflict, exists between your financial interest and this position.
Typical duties for the Presidential Innovation Fellow include, but are not limited to:
- Analyzing and scoping the technical and policy requirements needed to implement complex digital solutions
- Conceiving/recommending projects/studies to advance the state of the art in the specialty area; applying forwardthinking design and development principles to product development and program management, such as lean startup, user centered design, and agile development
- Assessing the state of digital services provided by the Federal Government, and working to align strategies and practice; conferring with key government/private officials and top experts in the field; representing the agency at technical symposia and/or conferences
- Developing authoritative papers/reports; developing and leading adoption of governmentwide standards for digital services, leading to their adoption across citizen and businessfacing government services
- Demonstrating thought leadership and contributing best practices in a variety of technologies and principles
- Contributing to a talent strategy that includes recruiting innovators and entrepreneurs to participate in solving complex and esoteric challenges.
- Performs other duties, as assigned
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application.
Here’s how it will work:
You will be scored based on a review of your application materials, measuring your possession of each of the following competencies:
- Analysis and Creative Problem Solving: Expertise determining user needs or identifying market opportunities and designing and deploying solutions
- Technology Acumen: Experience translating business problems into technology solutions that draw on current and emergent tools and technologies; and experience describing esoteric and highly technical solutions to non-technical stakeholders
- Entrepreneurship and Product Management: experience delivering products or services from concept to market
- Approach and Methodology: Expertise applying frameworks that emphasize delivery, iteration, quantitative and qualitative learnings, and responsiveness
- Empathy and Emotional Intelligence: Experience in client-facing roles, navigating bureaucracy, business development, or delivering services with a strong user-facing or consumer-oriented element
- Tools and Execution: Experience in design, development and deployment of solutions leveraging current and emergent technologies and best practices
Your score will be used to place you in one 4 categories: Superior Qualified, Best Qualified, Well Qualified or Qualified.
If your resume does not support your possession of the competencies listed above, we may lower your score, which could place you in a lower category.
Within each category, veterans will receive selection priority over non-veterans if supported by appropriate documentation.
Experience navigating highly ambiguous or uncertain situations to deliver results. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Navigating bureaucracy (e.g. complex organization structure, matrix organization), building coalitions and leading stakeholders with disparate views through change.
- Working in a team-oriented environment and collaborating within teams
- Working as an entrepreneur (i.e started and grown companies or organizations) measured in increased revenue, clients or users; OR intrapreneur (i.e. starting and/or leading initiatives within corporate, academic or non-profit institutions) measured by increased revenue, promoted growth, drove business strategy, acquired clients or customers/end users.
Experience applying technology innovation craft to the design and development of products and services. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Advising organizations on developing and delivering digital products or services, contributing to the development or the evolution of the organization’s technical strategy, and leading technical teams (i.e. providing mentorship, reviewing code and overall architecture and making technical recommendations).
- Leading cross-functional teams (e.g. product leads, developers, content designers, and other UX designers) in the research (i.e. planning, conducting, analyzing, translating & sharing user research) and design (e.g. developing wireframes, site maps, journey maps, process flows and prototypes,) of digital products or services using User Experience principles & practices (e.g. User Centered Design, Human Centered Design, Design Thinking).
- Driving the success of a product by leading the product vision, developing the product roadmap, utilizing innovation methodologies (e.g. Lean Startup, Agile, User Centered Design, Human Centered Design, UX Design, Experience Design) and leading cross functional teams (e.g.developers, content designers, UX designers, strategist) to design, develop, and deliver digital products or services.
- Functioning in an analytical capacity and executing or contributing to investment deals in an investment bank and/or venture capital firm (including corporate venture capital).
- Experience functioning in an organizational leadership capacity as a data scientist, statistician (using predictive analytics) or working in an organizational leadership capacity in the field of in the field of artificial intelligence/machine learning which can include: utilizing tools, algorithms or mathematical/statistical modeling techniques to positively impact business outcomes.
Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year or “present”)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time)
How To Apply
Submit a complete online application prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the posting. Please fill out all applicable fields.
If you need assistance in applying or have questions regarding this job opportunity, please email Deb Baptiste at email@example.com.
ALL required documents must be submitted before the closing date to be considered for the role. Review the following list to determine what you need to submit.
- For a brief video on creating a federal resume, click here
- If you have volunteered your service through a National Service program (e.g. Peace Corps, Americorps), we encourage you to apply and include this experience on your resume.
- If you are claiming veterans preference:
- Copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214 that shows the dates of your active duty service. If selected, a DD-214 showing your type of discharge (member 4 copy) will be required prior to appointment.
- If you are claiming 10-point preference or derived preference (a spouse, widow or widower, or parent of a deceased or disabled veteran), submit both of the following in addition to the DD-214:
- If you are claiming veterans preference, you MUST submit all Veteran’s documentation to Brinkley Hypes firstname.lastname@example.org by the job posting closing date. Please subject the email “Veteran’s documentation for Job Posting 1800335JCOTR”.
- If you are active duty military: Certification on a letterhead from your military branch that includes your rank, character of service (must be under honorable conditions) & military service dates including discharge/release date (must be no later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted).
Bargaining Unit status: Non Bargaining Unit
Relocation-related expenses are not approved and will be your responsibility.
All the information you provide will be verified by a review of the work experience and/or education as shown on your application forms, by checking references and through other means, such as the interview process. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempts to conceal information may be grounds for not hiring you, or for firing you after you begin work.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
To learn more, please consult the following resources:
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
What To Expect
After the closing date:
- ELIGIBILITY/QUALIFICATIONS: Your application will be reviewed for all requirements.
- REFERRAL TO MANAGEMENT: If you meet all the requirements, you may be referred to management for review and a possible interview.
- SELECTION/TENTATIVE JOB OFFER: If you are selected, you will receive a tentative offer and start the suitability and/or security background investigation process.
- FINAL JOB OFFER: Once our security office determines you can come on board, you will be given a final offer.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!