This job posting has closed.
Please see our other open positions.
18F - Product Manager
18F is hiring for GS-15 18F - Product Manager. This page contains information related to the role as well as a link to submit your application. Check out Join TTS Hiring Process to learn more about the application process.
Quick Links to Posting Sections
18F - Product Manager - GS-15
As a Product Manager at 18F, you’ll lead cross-functional teams to deliver user-centered products using agile methodologies and modern software development practices while building capacity for product innovation in government. When you build products with a partner agency, you’ll coach them on modern product development practices so they’re set up for success in the long term.
Product managers on our team are:
- Strategic thinkers who are comfortable defining a compelling vision and designing a measurable strategy to achieve that vision
- Decisive leaders who know how to motivate cross-functional teams to build the right thing
- Comfortable working in a consulting capacity as well as running a product directly
- Empathetic coaches, mentors, and advocates who help partner agency staff develop the skills to manage their own products
Objective #1: Own or steward the product vision and lead end-to-end product development
You are an experienced product manager who can unite vision and execution to lead an interdisciplinary team in delivering the right value to the right people. You’re skilled at defining a meaningful end goal to galvanize your team, whether that means generating a product vision and strategy with your team or helping agency partners articulate and focus their vision and strategy.
Successful product managers at 18F:
- Establish a vision and ensure all members of the 18F and partner teams have a shared understanding of product objectives, goals, and metrics
- Analyze market demand and market fit, do competitive analysis, and guide build vs. buy or reuse approaches
- Create a product strategy and roadmap and develop a communications strategy supporting product goals
- Identify and proactively monitor and address product risks
- Lead a cross-functional team of researchers, designers, and engineers to ensure the right product is delivered to the right audience
- Work with the team to set and meet quality standards for any product you build
- Use evidence (user research, analytics, and other metrics) to make product decisions, ask “why” a lot, and recognize the difference between “we can’t do that because of bureaucracy” and “we can’t do that because of the law”
- Energize and motivate the team by recognizing successes and learning from failures
- Ensure your product complies with federal regulations such as Authority to Operate, the Paperwork Reduction Act, and Section 508
Objective #2: Work with agency partners to make sure they’re set up for success
As a product manager at 18F, your job isn’t to deliver software; your job is to create sustainable outcomes that benefit the public. You’ll help your partners adopt a modern product development mindset and make sure they have the right team to sustain their product once 18F’s engagement with them is done. You’ll also coach and mentor agency staff, helping them develop into capable product managers in their own right.
Successful product managers at 18F:
- Work with partners to establish in-house product ownership
- Help partners understand how to deliver value, rather than features, to their users
- Help partners navigate complex bureaucratic relationships to bring stakeholders together around a common product vision and strategy
- Coach the partner in agile, open source, and user-centered principles so they understand the value these practices bring
- Ensure the partner understands how to do day-to-day product management by coaching and mentoring junior product managers
- Work with partners to ensure they have the right team to continue iterating on the product beyond the engagement
- Work with partners to establish relationships with their security, operations, and IT teams that will help sustain the product in the long term
- Work with partners to develop communications strategies to sustain the product during and beyond the engagement
Objective #3: Build institutional expertise around product management
As a member of 18F, you’ll also be part of the Technology Transformation Services. You’ll share best practices and tools with your peers across the organization. You’ll collaborate and share insights and opinions with other product managers, contributing to our growing culture of product management. You’ll share lessons learned from your work at 18F with peers and leaders to help guide our approach to digital transformation.
Successful product managers at 18F:
- Keep abreast of product management best practices and bring them back into the organization
- Stay on top of new technologies and how they could help solve government problems
- Speak at conferences to talk about 18F’s work and share our mission
- Contribute to 18F’s culture of transparency by publishing accounts of your successes and failures
- Continually seek out new product management tools that could improve the way we work
- Pay attention to well-supported open source product offerings that can be reused in a government context to solve common problems (so that we help agencies not build custom tools if not needed)
Job announcement number: 1900271JCOTR
Opening and closing period for this job application: Monday, February 11, 2019 to 8:00pm EDT on Friday, February 15, 2019
Job Title: Innovation Specialist
Series & Grade: 0301 - GS-15
Promotion Potential: GS-15
Salary Range: Base salary GS-15 - $105,123 to $136,659
For specific details on locality pay, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page or for a salary calculator OPM’s 2018 General Schedule (GS) Salary Calculator. If you are a new federal employee, your starting salary will likely be set at the Step 1 of the grade for which you applied to.
Location: Virtual (100% Remote), Washington, DC; San Francisco, CA; Chicago, IL; New York, NY
Number of vacancies: 1 (Additional vacancies may be filled from this announcement as needed)
Supervisory status: No
Travel requirement: Occasional travel may be required up to 10%-20% per year
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands) and non-GSA employees/contractors are eligible to apply.
Security clearance: Public trust. Background investigation required.
Work Schedule: Full time
Appointment Type: Excepted Service: Not to exceed 24 months (2 years); may be extended for an additional 2 years for a maximum of 4 years total.
This is a Schedule A position under 5 CFR 213.3102(r) to hire unique technical skills to develop innovative digital tools and services in the Excepted Service. TTS is charged with developing innovative digital tools and services. TTS uses lean startup and agile development principles to make easy things easy and hard things possible.
As an Innovation Specialist the incumbent serves the government and makes an impact on a truly massive scale. The position requires that fellows perform work of an exceptional degree of difficulty across a wide range of topics at the convergence of technology, policy, and delivery. The incumbent leverages his/her experience deploying high quality, user centric platforms and services to lead major initiatives, consult on systems and policy proposals, and provide technical, policy, and programmatic guidance to government. The position involves access to PII data.
This position is located within the General Services Administration (GSA), Federal Acquisition Service (FAS), Technology Transformation Service (TTS), Office of 18F.
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands)
- Suitable for federal employment, determined by a background investigation
- You may be required to serve a trial period
- Direct Deposit of salary check to financial organization required
- Register with Selective Service, if you are required by https://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration
- Serve a one year trial period, if required
- Undergo and pass a background investigation. You must be granted this clearance before you can start the job
- Have your identity and work status eligibility verified if you are not a GSA employee. We will use the Department of Homeland Security’s e-Verify system for this
- Any discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment
- Complete a financial disclosure report to verify that no conflict, or an appearance of conflict, exists between your financial interest and this position
Typical duties include but are not limited to: Conceiving/recommending projects/studies to advance the state of the art in the specialty area; applying forward thinking design and development principles to product or services development, delivery and program management, such as lean startup, user centered design, and agile development; Analyzing and scoping the technical and policy requirements needed to implement complex digital solutions; Assessing the state of digital services provided by the Federal Government, and working to align strategies and practice; conferring with key government/private officials and top experts in the field, representing the agency at technical symposia and/or conferences; Developing authoritative papers/reports; developing and leading adoption of government wide standards for digital services, leading to their adoption across citizen and business facing government Services; Demonstrating thought leadership and contributing best practices in a variety of technologies and principles; Contributing to a talent strategy that includes recruiting innovators and entrepreneurs to participate in solving complex and esoteric challenges.
We will use a method called Category Rating to assess your application.
Here’s how it will work:
You will be scored based on a review of your application materials, measuring your possession of each of the following competencies
- Communication: Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences to establish a shared vision and understanding of the project’s objectives and goals
- Product Experience: Ability to deliver the right digital product using user-centered and agile-based methodologies
- Leadership: Ability to effectively lead a cross-functional team to meet digital project/product objectives
- Innovation: Ability to apply innovative tools and technologies and to help partners make strategic & tactical decisions toward innovation
- 18F Core Values Alignment: The ability to work with integrity, transparency and resiliency in civic minded or high impact environment
If found to be eligible and at least minimally qualified for the position, your score will be used to place you in a category (Best Qualified, Well Qualified, or Qualified).
If your resume does not support your possession of the competencies listed above, we may lower your score, which could place you in a lower category.
Within each category, veterans will receive selection priority over non-veterans if supported by appropriate documentation.
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts against a scoring rubric created for this role. In order to properly be able to evaluate your previous experience, we recommend being as detailed as possible in your resume and following our general guidance on creating federal style resume.
To qualify for this role, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 in the Federal service. Specialized experience is:
- Experience leading interdisciplinary product teams in the research, design, development and delivery of digital products or services. This experience must include ALL of the following:
- Leading the development of multiple digital products or services, or leading the development of multiple features in large products
- Creating and managing the product vision based on user research & metrics
- Leading teams through the adoption of new tools, technologies or methodologies
- Experience leading digital product or service development, from concept to delivery, within highly ambiguous or uncertain situations. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Leading products with multiple dependencies requiring joint releases to achieve measurable and demonstrated business objectives
- Leading intrapreneurial efforts with measurable and demonstrated impact to the organization
- Experience leading the development, delivery or integration of highly complex digital products or services. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Developing new products or services for startups
- Developing products or services for legacy migrations
- Developing products or services for large integrations
- Developing products, services or features for large consumer products
- Experience applying leading industry practices in the design, development and delivery of digital products or services. This experience must include ONE of the following:
- Developing digital products or services using experimentation based frameworks
- Developing digital products or services using iterative development methodologies
- Developing digital products or services using user-centered design and planning tools
- Developing digital products or services using continuous delivery methodologies
Qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, so failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- the exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year or “present”)
- number of hours per week you worked (if part time)
How To Apply
We’re sorry, this job has closed.