TTS is hiring for GS-15 - Public Experience Portfolio Director GS15. This page contains information related to the role as well as a link to submit your
application. Check out Join TTS Hiring Process to learn more about the application process.
This opportunity is located within the Solutions team in Technology Transformation Services (TTS) which is a part of Federal Acquisition Services (FAS) in the General Services Administration (GSA). TTS applies modern methodologies and technologies to improve the lives of the public and public servants. We help agencies make their services more accessible, efficient, and effective with innovative products, platforms, and services.
The Public Experience Portfolio Director will manage a suite of technology products and programs that help the general public more easily understand and access government services. The Director will manage and operate official U.S. government digital portals, USA.gov (English) and USA.gov/es (Spanish), which disseminate content to several million customers a year; the customer contact center for USA.gov and several partners; Search.gov, a search engine by and for the federal government; Vote.gov, the official government source for voter registration information; and other public-facing offerings.
The Director will be supported by portfolio teams which consist of federal and contractor specialists in content management, UX design, software engineering, digital product management, and multi-lingual support. The Public Experience Director reports directly to the Assistant Commissioner, Office of Solutions.
1. Set direction and goals for the portfolio’s digital products, technologies, and operations in alignment with TTS strategic objectives.
- Will oversee portfolio teams that create, manage and distribute digital content for mass communications, collaborating with federal, state, tribal and territorial entities to ensure information is authoritative, correct, inclusive, accessible and welcoming.
- Conduct outreach and marketing to more effectively reach the public, including social media, blogs and email.
- Develop the story that explains not only what each product or service in the portfolio offers, but also the combined value proposition of the entire suite.
- Keep abreast of user needs, emerging technologies, and stakeholder priorities to identify new product/service opportunities, decide how to improve existing products/services, and optimize resource allocation (e.g., money and people) across the portfolio.
- Develop and manage the portfolio’s budget, including formulating the annual budget and determining long-range financial plans and strategies, monitoring and managing financial resources to achieve program goals, and overseeing the rate-setting process to collect financial support from customer agencies and corporate partners.
- Coordinate with teams to create and regularly revise implementation plans with milestones and manage dependencies.
- Analyze portfolio results by devising evaluation strategies to monitor impact, customer satisfaction, and performance.
2. Manage a team of cross-functional managers to deliver effectively and grow professionally.
- Responsible for mentorship, training, performance reviews, and staffing assignments across a wide range of disciplines.
- Build and nurture a strong team through open communication, collaboration, and promotion of diverse perspectives. Identify opportunities for improvement and work with teams to implement changes.
- Navigate teams through ambiguity and work constructively to help teams resolve complex technology issues.
- Oversee hiring for the portfolio and foster the EEO program within the portfolio by assuring equal opportunity in recruitment, selection, promotion, training, awards, assignments and special program objectives to effectively use the strength of a diverse workforce.
- Share relevant experience and best practices with teams and government-wide.
- Ensure portfolio alignment and compliance with relevant TTS, GSA and government-wide policy, including (but not limited to) those pertaining to supervising contractors, cybersecurity, digital privacy, and advancing equity and accessibility.
3. Represent the portfolio, TTS, and GSA in communicating mission, services, and successes both internally and externally
- Collaborate with TTS leadership to align priorities and opportunities for the portfolio within the broader organization’s strategic objectives and manage complex stakeholder dynamics.
- Track and communicate progress and overall performance to TTS leadership as well as executive and political stakeholders.
- Work closely with Congressional committee staff to ensure their understanding of the portfolio’s goals, and to implement Hill program initiatives.
- Create and maintain partnerships with government agencies, organizations, media, technology/digital industry, and other influencers and thought leaders to support the portfolio’s goals.
Virtual (100% Remote)
The salary ranges for this position are:
- GS-15 Step 1 $136,908 to GS-15 Step 10 $183,500
Your salary, including base and locality, will be determined upon selection, dependent on your actual duty location.
You can find more information about this in the compensation and benefits section on our site.
For specific details on locality pay, please visit OPM’s Salaries & Wages page or for salary calculator OPM’s 2023 General Schedule (GS) Salary Calculator.
Please note the maximum salary available for the GS pay system is $183,500
Note: You may not be eligible for the maximum salary as it is locality dependent. Please refer to the maximum pay for your locality.
Who May Apply:
All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Islands)
Occasional travel may be required up to 10%-20% per year.
Public trust. Background investigation required.
Job Family (Series):
Learn more about the benefits we offer.
- Health insurance (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options
- Sick leave and vacation time, including 10 paid holidays per year
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
- Flexible spending accounts
- Long-term care insurance
- Training and development
- Direct Deposit of salary check to financial organization required.
Provide as much detail as possible on your resume so that we can evaluate your previous experience. Follow our guidance on creating a federal style resume.
Qualification determinations can’t be made when resumes don’t include the required information. Failure to provide required information may result in disqualification.
For each job on your resume, provide:
- The exact dates you held each job (from month/year to month/year or “present”)
- Number of hours per week you worked (if part time)
All applications will be reviewed by a panel of subject matter experts against a scoring rubric created for this role. In order to properly be able to evaluate your previous experience, we recommend being as detailed as possible in your resume and following our general guidance on creating federal style resume.
Have IT-related experience demonstrating EACH of the four competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant investigates and evaluates “state of the art” technology of the industry.
- Customer Service - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant confers with users to evaluate the effectiveness of, or identify the need for, computer programs or management systems.
- Oral Communication - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant persuades others to take a particular course of action or to accept findings, recommendations, changes, or alternative viewpoints.
- Problem Solving - This skill is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant identifies and accommodates technology and resource
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, you must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-14 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is defined as:
- Experience leading the overall planning, management and direction of a portfolio or suite of digital programs, products or businesses, or a single, highly complex digital program, product or business.
- Experience using agile methodologies, human-centered design practices, and qualitative and quantitative data to improve user outcomes in digital environments geared at the general public.
- Experience building alignment with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience supervising cross-functional team members representing a variety of professional disciplines.
How To Apply
Submit a complete online application prior to 11:59pm ET on Monday, January 23, 2023. Please fill out all applicable fields.
Need Assistance in applying or have questions regarding this job opportunity, please email TTS Talent Team at email@example.com.